Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Program Analyst in Memphis, Tennessee
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
About the Memphis VA Medical Center: The VAMC in Memphis, Tennessee consists of one main campus located at 1030 Jefferson Avenue, which includes a sixty-bed Spinal Cord Injury Unit, and ten community based outpatient clinics (CBOC). It is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level 1 Facility and one of the most complex medical centers in the VA system. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology, as well as extensive education and research programs. Comprehensive primary, secondary, and tertiary health care is provided in areas of medicine, general cardiovascular and neurological surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury, neurology, oncology, dentistry, and geriatrics. Specialized outpatient services are provided through general, specialty, and subspecialty outpatient clinics including a women's health center. Services are available to more than 206,000 Veterans living in a fifty-three county tristate area (Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi
The full potential grade level for this position is a GS-09.
Work Schedule:Full-time, Monday through Friday: 8 am until 4:30 pm Compressed/Flexible: Not Available Telework:Not Available Virtual:This is not a virtual position. Position Description/PD#: Program Analyst/ 503280 Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:Not Authorized Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
Learn more about this agency
The position of the Program Analyst is located within the Medical Service. The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Planning, establishing, and managing data administration tasks and database administration functions to support all database systems.
- Coordinate program evaluation efforts within Consulting Services and assist with multiple contracts for the Medicine Service.
- Prepare performance appraisals to help in larger sections such as Cardiology.
- Ensures that the managerial portion of the chief's work are effectively accomplished allowing him/her to concentrate on his managerial and professional duties.
- Coordinates administrative work with the Medical Management Specialist to ensure that work is effectively completed.
- Coordinates space needs with Facilities Management and the Space Committee.
- Assist in the implementation of all matters pertaining to the cost-benefit or economic evaluations of program analysis of the medicine service.
- Consult with the Medical Management Specialist for counseling management in developing and maintaining sound organization structures, improving management methods and procedures, and seeing to the effective use of money, and materials.
- Establish tracking tool to show the service employment rate.
- Serve on VAMC committees and task groups as requested
- Provide upper management with reports, evaluated information, budget proposals and similar products.
- Conduct analytical studies that are special interest to specific functional activities or programs, and participate in unusual, controversial and sometimes highly sensitive aspects of the program.
- Serve as an official to sign off on cardiology section T&L;' (Time and Leave).
- Conduct surveys and collect data for recommended action on support concerns of space, equipment and fiscal matters.
- Establish standards and operating procedures for database structures for national surveys such as AES (All Employee Survey and participating in formal design reviews as an authority on database development and management to ensure conformity with criteria.
- Instruct others on procedural requirements of a job.
- Track suspense actions, produce charts, and prepare presentation material.
- Interpret and explain office policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- #### Job family (Series)
0343 Management And Program Analysis
- Analysts, Budget
- Analysts, Cost
- Analysts, Management
- Analysts, Program
- Budget Analysts
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 05/31/2018.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-07 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-05. For a GS-09 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-07. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. Note:Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
Specialized Experience for GS-07: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-5) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: skill in performing administrative duties and documentation for reports, interpreting and applying system policies and procedures applicable to multiple programs; preparing a variety of correspondence following required formats such as letters, reports, memoranda, etc; taking and transcribing meeting minutes; providing administrative/clerical and performing duties involved in collecting, compiling, graphing and tracking of data and statistical information; maintaining and coordinating appointment calendars for supervisor and/or with other departments; and receive and routing incoming correspondence, review outgoing correspondence, establish control/and or suspense files. OR, * Education: Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have at least one (1) full year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement. OR, * Combination: Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. You must have an combination of specialized experience and education. Specialized Experience for GS-09: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: research, analyzing and interpreting applicable laws and regulations that govern a health care delivery program; possess skills in fact finding, analysis and negotiation sufficient to interpreting and organizing data and coordinating projects to meet the established and anticipated needs of a health care organization* OR,* * Education:Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have a Masters or equivalent degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B or J.D. in courses that are directly related to the work of the position. (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED) OR, * Combination:Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. You must have an combination of specialized experience and education.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Computer Skills
- Planning and Evaluating
- Veteran and Customer Focus
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements:The work requires some walking, bending, and carrying light items such as papers, files, manual and books. No special physical qualifications are required to perform the work.
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Narrative responses are not required at this time. If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference.For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.To apply for this position, you must complete the questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 05/31/2018 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10206971.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USA JOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package. NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Application page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
Memphis VA Medical Center 1030 Jefferson Avenue Memphis, TN US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499294100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 05/10/2018 to 05/31/2018
Salary: $41,365 to $65,778 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 9
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent